As a hardcore fan of the Marvel cinematic universe and someone who watched every Star Wars film as a kid, I’ve often wondered if Yoda could lift Thor’s Hammer. Would the Hammer find Yoda worthy enough to wield it? Is “the force” powerful enough to lift the Hammer whether Yoda is considered worthy or not?
Could Yoda lift Thor’s hammer?
Yoda has a pure-soul and heart of gold, making him worthy to lift Mjolnir.
But is there any other way Yoda could lift Thor’s Hammer? I put everything I learned into one place so we can answer this question.
Is Yoda Worthy of Lifting Thor’s Hammer?
It is said that “Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.” Here is a list of Yoda’s traits that make him worthy to wield Thor’s Hammer.
- Yoda has a pure soul. Even after everything Yoda has been through, he has never turned to the Dark Side of the Force. He has never let his own power or anyone else’s corrupt his soul.
- Yoda is kind and good-natured. Even through the most difficult battles and the darkest of times, Yoda is a force for good and keeps a positive outlook on life. Life is never so bleak that he is unable to crack a joke.
- Yoda has the spirit of a warrior. Yoda may respect life and the light side of the force, but he knows when to kick some serious butt. He is not one to shy away from a fight and will kill when necessary.
I think it is safe to safe that Yoda is one of the many Jedi Masters who would be worthy of Thor’s Hammer. (Source)
What Exactly Makes Someone Worthy of Mjolnir?
To understand what makes someone worthy of Thor’s Hammer, at least in the Marvel Universe, you have to look at it through the eyes of Odin (Thor’s Father). Odin created the enchantment and is therefore likely to include characteristics Asgardians believe to be worthy traits. (Source)
Asgardians are a proud warrior race. Someone who is worthy of Mjolnir must have a warrior’s spirit or have already proven themselves in battle. This would have to be someone who is loyal, brave, and willing to die for the greater good.
You would need to be the kind of person that does good deeds because they truly believe in doing good, not for any selfish reasons. Humility, kindness, and self-sacrifice are some of the main themes of worthiness when wielding great power.
If Mjolnir allows you to wield it once, don’t get comfortable throwing Thor’s Hammer around. If your character traits start sliding, you’ll lose the ability to lift the hammer. At one point even Thor was deemed unworthy by Mjolnir. The nature of humanity is constant change and flux, so we must always try to be better people.
Could Yoda Use the Force to Lift Thor’s Hammer?
While we have established that Yoda would be worthy to lift Thor’s hammer, could Yoda still use “The Force” to lift it? From what we know about Thor’s Hammer, the answer is definitely no. Telekinesis, or “the force” alone is not enough to lift Thor’s Hammer.
Yoda is small and appears to be feeble and weak. What Yoda lacks in physical strength he makes up for using The Force. Judging by physical strength alone and not his strength of character, Yoda would not be able to make Mjolnir budge.
There have been several telekinetic Marvel characters that have attempted to lift Thor’s Hammer and failed. Magneto was not able to use his powers to lift Thor’s Hammer. I think we can all agree that superpowers alone do not make one worthy. Ultimate Magneto was able to manipulate the magnetic field around Mjolnir but was not able to access the Hammer’s full power.
Besides being deemed worthy by Mjolnir, I don’t think there is any other way for Yoda or any other character to lift Thor’s Hammer. A Jedi would not be able to lift the Hammer by using the force alone, they must be deemed worthy by Mjolnir. (Source)
Are There any Other Star Wars Characters that Could Lift Thor’s Hammer?
We know for a fact that Captain America had the ability to lift and use Thor’s hammer. As well as multiple Marvel characters have been deemed worthy to wield Mjolnir. What about other Star Wars characters?
Here’s a list of other Star Wars characters that I think are worthy to wield Mjolnir and why.
- Han Solo. This one might be a stretch. Han definitely would not have been worthy before rescuing Leia from Darth Vader, but he changed for the better after joining the Rebel Alliance. He became fiercely kind and loyal, and would never back down from a fight.
- Leia Organa. Princess Leia became a hero not only in the Star Wars universe but in our universe as well. As a courageous leader and a fearless fighter with a kind and loving heart, I have no doubt that Leia would be able to lift Thor’s Hammer.
- The Mandolorian, Mando, or Din Djarin. Before saving Baby Yoda’s life, I don’t know if Mando would have been worthy to wield Mjolnir, simply being a mercenary. He has always had the spirit of a warrior, but after saving an unknown child and protecting it with his life, I think he has proved his soul is worthy.
- Rey Skywalker. Undoubtedly a fierce fighter and good soul. She resisted the dark side and fought against it, even when it seemed that all was lost. Rey would definitely be able to lift Thor’s Hamme
- Luke Skywalker. The GOAT.
- Rose Tico. Rose had a good sense of right and wrong that was an integral part of her character. Losing her sister to the First Order transformed her into the warrior she had always been. Rose would be able to wield Mjolnir.
There have been many important figures throughout history who would probably be able to lift Thor’s Hammer. There are also many people alive today that embody the worthiness required to wield Mjolnir. I think if we all lived our life training to able to lift Thor’s Hammer, the world might be a better place.
Could Thor Use The Force?
So we’ve answered the question, “Could Yoda lift Thor’s Hammer?” and the answer is yes, but in an alternate universe, do you think Thor would have had access to The Force? I think it is possible.
Thor is an Asgardian. Asgardians are an alien race who have built their world and abilities around an advanced technology that resembles magic. The Force is the energy that binds the universe together. Some people, like the Jedi, are able to manipulate “The Force“, almost like a form of magic.
There are enough parallels between The Force and Asgardian technology that it is possible Thor would be able to manipulate The Force with some training. Although if he had Mjolnir with him, he wouldn’t really need The Force.
Yoda is Worthy.
I am convinced that Yoda would be able to lift Thor’s Hammer. Yoda has the qualities that make one worthy to wield Mjolnir. It is not a matter of physical or mental strength, but your soul that is judged to be worthy or unworthy by the spirit of Thor’s Hammer.
Did Odin choose the best way to protect Mjolnir from falling into the wrong hands? Probably not, but then again, nothing and no one is failproof. That would make for a boring story. There are loopholes that have been exploited by those technically unworthy to wield Thor’s Hammer, but Yoda is not a loophole. Yoda is worthy.